Monday, August 31, 2015

Bruce's email and pictures August 31, 2015







My dearest loved ones...

I feel a little tired.  We went to David today and we were able to play some sports.  I love playing sports and exercising.  I miss it very much.  But today has been a good day.  Transfers will be known tomorrow.

It is a weird feeling to see all of the missionaries that I have known leave.  Elder Kinghorn and Elder Sumpter are going now.  It is a weird feeling.  I know that the time will soon come that I will be in their spot.  I feel peace and am glad that I have the privilege to stay here a little longer in the service of the Lord.  I know how great the blessings are that He grants to those who serve Him.

We continue to speak with everyone.  We try to do LPEs, or rather, lecciones para encontrar.  It's like a little contact, but making sure that you teach a principle, leave a commitment, and ask for a reference.  It is great.  We try and do about 100 of those a week.  It isn't easy.  You have to come out of your comfort zone.  I like contacting entire buses even though when I first started to it wasn't an easy task.

Turns out that none of our investigators went to church.  It was very sad.  Sometimes I just feel so bad.  If people cannot keep a small commitment, like going to church, they won't be prepared to make a covenant such as baptism.  The only way for them to progress is if they go to church.  I felt comfort though, knowing I had done all that I could to help them go. After, we went and visited them and I don't think I have ever exhorted more earnestly, with all of my heart, that they go to church, promising them such wonderful blessings.  Agency is a hard thing when people choose not to receive the blessings that God has for them.  But liberty is essential for our progress as well.

Sometimes I feel really down.  It isn't easy being here, at times it really is just plain difficult.  Just because you are a missionary doesn't mean the work goes as you want or that you don't have trials, quite the contrary; yet it is such a blessing to participate in this amazing work - none other brings the same satisfaction as this.

We have been making plans with the Branch President.  We are planning on implementing home teaching.  That will be such fun, I can't wait.  The members are having their hearts softened, more than anything the less-actives.  It is interesting that after sharing a message of Jesus Christ, people just have the urge to give you food.  I have seen that many times.

I continue to see miracles.  It is amazing to see how much the Lord participates in His work and how He guides and helps us.  

I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon.  I love reading it.  It is so interesting to me and enlightens me.  It truly enters into my heart.  What a lovely book that our Father has offered to us.

Today the song 'Lean on Me' came to my mind.   I started to ponder upon its words.  As I did, I felt compassion.  That is exactly what our Savior invites us to do, is to lean on Him, when we´re not strong, and He will help us carry on.  I am a witness.  Every time I feel like I just can't go on, or I just feel empty or lost, as I pray for guidance, I feel His love and strength to continue onward.  Truly if we do as President Eyring, in those moments of hardship or feeling like slacking in our responsibilities, giving ourselves that rallying cry, 'Remember Him!', we will have the sufficient strength to move on.  In Helaman 5:12 it doesn't say if all of those things come, it says when they come.  We know that we will have hard times in our lives, but if we look to the Savior and have Him as our foundation, we cannot and will not fall.  I feel the Spirit bearing testimony of these words as I write them to you.  I know that they are true.  We are not perfect, but through our Savior, one day we will be, but only with Him.  I know that these things are true.

I love you all so much.  I long to be with you.  Thank you for your love and prayers in my behalf.  I love you.  Continuing forward isn't easy, but it's worth it, and possible through Christ.

Love, Elder Bitter

No comments: