Monday, April 20, 2015

Bruce's email April 20, 2015

Dearest loved ones,

This week was a very eventful one and full of great experiences and learning.  Time is passing really quickly; it seems that it passes slowly, but the constancy just makes it pass fast :)

A couple of crazy things that happened this week.  A taxi reversed into Elder Jensen and I while we were driving on a main road with a lot of traffic.  It was really interesting because I gave about 10 feet of room, but he just kept backing up even when I laid on my horn so that he would stop.  No damage was done, but it was a great missionary opportunity.  I remember when he came out of the car, he must have been really startled when he saw the smile I had on my face and the greeting I gave him.  That isn´t often given here.  I am glad that in that situation, I was able to share the gospel with his family and show them that we believe in the way Christ would react.

On Friday we were walking through a place to find a metro station to go back to our area.  We were walking through the streets and I had my Book of Mormon that I always have.  I usually hold it up to my face to block the sun because my skin is so sensitive to it, and I am glad that I did.  Out of nowhere I was hit.  A bird had decided to go right where I was.  I was surprised at how good he hit me.  He got me all over my back, shoulder, and Book of Mormon.  Luckily, I had the Book of Mormon to shield my face, or it would have made the situation worse.  We were able to have a great contacting opportunity out of that as well.  Someone kindly offered to help us to wash it off, so we did.

These stories are interesting.  I have a testimony that the Book of Mormon and following its teachings changes one to be more like Christ.  Only through His Atonement can it be done.  I probably would not have reacted that way in either of those situations if I would not have been reading the Book of Mormon, praying, or having the Spirit with me.  I know that Christ can change us from who we are, into something better - something more loving and kind than we are, if we only come unto Him.

We were able to teach someone last week named Antonio Licardo.  He is a wonderful man, who contacted us as we were speaking with other people in the street.  He is from Italy.  His accent is really interesting.  His grandma was a member who died recently, and his uncle is a member with his family.  He commented so much on our church and many other things.  To be short, we put an appointment with him.  We then visited him in his house on Friday night.  As we entered his apartment, I have never felt the Spirit like that in any other investigator's house before.  We could feel something different.  He often talks of his grandma and the things that she would do, how she would always read the Ensign and pray.  As we spoke, and more than anything as I bore testimony, I felt an overwhelming Spirit confirming my words.  I knew that what I was saying was true.  He then commented of the conviction of our testimonies and that we knew that it was true.  He had felt that we were truly telling him the truth. He is a very amazing man that we will continue to teach.

We have an investigator named Yesica that went to church yesterday. She is great, so humble.  She is 20 and from Venezuela, and is such an amazing investigator.

The members are working with us very well.  We have some amazing members.  I know that prayers are answered; that our Father in Heaven hears every one of our prayers and answers.  I am grateful that I have been taught that principle.

My testimony is growing so much.  I love to feel the Spirit.  I love that we have living prophets that speak the Word of God and tell us His will.  I know that this is Christ´s church.  I know that it is.  There isn´t a doubt in my mind.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  It is the key to conversion, the foundation of faith in Christ and of a testimony.  I know that all can know of the goodness and love of our Father and our Savior.  If they but ask and seek, they shall find.  Oh what joy this sentence gives, I know that my Redeemer lives.  I pray that we will all stay by the tree, that we will never let go of the Iron Rod, for it is sure.  Christ is the sure foundation.  I am grateful for the tender mercy of having the knowledge that I do.  

I love you all so much.  I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks.  Stay strong, go to the temple every week! :)  Stay close to the tree.

Love, Elder Bitter

No comments: