Monday, January 19, 2015

Bruce's email January 19, 2015 - From San Blas to the city

Dear Family,

I apologize for not writing too much about how things went on the islands.  I have to say - that was an amazing experience.  I will never forget it!  I am sorry too for not sending pictures.  I will try to do that today, as many as I can send.  I think that one of the best things about being out there was getting to know the people.  They are a very humble people.  They love to see us and say hi.  Many of the children, at least on the islands where there were sisters, would run up to us saying, 'Hermana!', which means Sister.  It was a good visit filled with the Spirit.  The ocean was at its wildest time of year when we went, so it was a really bumpy ride in the boats going from island to island.  We did get really wet, but it was a nice experience.  After the water dried, it was a weird sensation to feel the salt on your skin.  The missionaries out there are very good missionaries as well. We are grateful for those people.

Today we tried to get our driving licenses and it didn't work.  So I still won't be able to drive this week.  We are going to have the training this week.  I am a little nervous just because the mission is supposed to be changing.  When Elder Ochoa came, we were chastened quite a bit.  Elder Duncan comes in less than a month, so whatever we do, it has to be efficient and fast.  That is what we are trying to accomplish and it is the plan.  The obedience is improving, and so is the success of the missionaries that are following the advice and counsel that we give them in their areas and with what they need to do.  It is a great feeling to see that happen.

It is such a gift to repent.  Many see it as sorrowful.  It should be seen as something filled with hope and opportunity, filled with mercy and forgiveness.  I am so grateful for repentance.  Even though you might have committed many past mistakes, you can always repent and receive forgiveness from God.  What a gift :)  We are doing it a lot as well!

I have seen miracles this week. It is amazing how when you pay attention to what happens, you can see that God has given you answers to your prayers.  It is such a tender mercy.  Sometimes we just need to stop.  Stop paying attention to things that don't matter, and to pay attention to the things that matter.  I keep learning how important the Spirit is in EVERYTHING that we do.  If we do not have the Spirit, we cannot be saved - in short words.  I am so grateful for that priceless gift given to those who are willing to make sacred covenants with the Lord.

Thank you for your prayers in my behalf.  I am so grateful for them.  I love you all so very much and am sorry for my imperfections and my lack of detail in my emails.  I will try to improve and make it so that you may know more about what I am doing here in the mission field.  Thank you for your love and support.  I am so grateful for your emails and experiences.  They help me to feel of your love.  Everyone have a great week :)

Love, Elder Bitter

No comments: