Monday, April 21, 2014

Bruce's email April 21, 2014

Family,

Well, Elder Bitter got changed last Wednesday! I am now in an area called Loma Coba 2 in Arraijan. Not really far, but about 3 hours from my last area, with no traffic.  It's really nice and I like it a lot :)  It's the area next to the ZLs.  My companion, Elder De Paz, is from Guatemala. He's 21 and is a DL. We have 4 Hermanas in our district, 2 are from Arizona. It's really cool and I love being here serving :) The area has a lot of hills.  It's fun... ;) Yeah, I miss San Vicente so much. I miss the members that I ate with every day, the people I had the privilege of seeing baptized, and all of the friendships that I made. Going from not knowing a word in Spanish to being able to talk to them; they saw the transition. It's hard at times. I miss them a lot. But I am already starting to love the people here :)

Right when I got here to the new house, it was a lot different than the other one, some ways nicer and some ways not... When I got here it was the biggest mess. So what did I do? I did what Mom has taught me to do and I cleaned it all up :) It's so clean now.  Mom taught me before I came out here that the Spirit can't dwell in an unclean place, and I definitely want the Spirit with me.  So it's all clean now :) I am also showing my 'Ryan side' and being creative with figuring out handy ways to make things that are nice and easier to live here in this house with not really anything.  It's way nice :) I love the mission. 

I have been reflecting a lot this past week, and I have realized how much I have changed for the better since being out here on the mission. Truly, God has taken me by the hand.  By the grace and Atonement of Christ, I have been changing.  I see things that I would or wouldn't have done before the mission that now is the opposite. I see things that Mom and Dad taught me before I left that didn't sink into my head because of my music or own interests, that now have become a part of me that I cherish. Thank you Mom and Dad for all that you ever taught me. I truly am grateful. All of the times that you were talking to me and I might have appeared not to be paying attention, it has had such an effect on me you wouldn't believe. The Spirit has brought things back to my remembrance and has helped me so much. Truly, the most important place to teach the gospel is in the home. What a testimony builder! :)

Mom, I have a question that has been bugging me. Where did Brad Herdt go on his mission???? You never told me :)  I really want to know :)

This week I tried my first mangos. And they are so good!!!! Oh my word. Mangos and these things called patacones. They are a certain kind of banana but more starchy like a potato, and you cut them into pieces about an inch long, then fry them, then you take them out, hit them to smash them a little to make them flat, and then fry them again. I will be sure to make some for everyone when I get home. Man are those things so good :) I really like mangos too. Man, delicious! :)

My health is great! The headaches have started to go down and I don't get as many anymore.  It's way nice.  I have started to exercise and I feel really good :) Thank you for your prayers and faith in my behalf.

Sorry that I didn't send any pictures last p-day. There was a problem and it appears that the same problem is occurring in the computer today too... So I will try to send pictures of the area, members and such of San Vicente. Sorry :)

The Spanish has gotten so much better here. Wow. I got here and was surprised I knew so much. I was understanding it all! I almost understand everything now. Speaking is harder but it is coming really well :)  What a blessing from God to His missionaries that if they are humble, He will grant them the ability to teach others the gospel :) the GOOD NEWS:)

I have had such testimony builders that have changed my life in the 4 days that I have been in my new area. I truly know without a doubt that Jesus is the Christ.  God and Christ love us sooo much. The gospel is the only way to have true, everlasting happiness. I have the firmest testimony that this is the Church of Christ. It is either the Church of Jesus Christ and of God, or there is no God. But there is a God, and this is His church. I know it without a doubt :) 

In less that a month I will be able to talk to all of you :)  I love you all so much. I think of you often. Every time I look at your pictures I think of how beautiful my parents and sisters are. Man you guys are something :) How grateful I am for the privilege of being your brother :)  I pray for you all every day and hope that you have a great week with safety and happiness every day :)  Don't forget to remember Christ and our Father in Heaven every day and to pray every morning and night. Always read the scriptures every day, even if it's just 10 verses. DO IT. You need the nutrition and spiritual protection that comes from reading the scriptures. I love you all so very much and have confidence in all of you :) I hope all is well and will be sure to let you know when and the details about Skype next time :) Love you, Mom.

Love, Elder Bitter

No comments: