Monday, December 2, 2013

Bruce's email December 2, 2013


My Big Family :)

Happy Thanksgiving all of you amazing people! Miss you guys a lot.

I was very very very homesick last P-day night. I have never been that homesick in my life before then.  It is the only time I have ever just... I don't know how to describe the feeling.  It wasn't good though.  But I am so grateful for it.  This was the first holiday that I have ever spent away from you guys.  It was hard, but I made it :)  It made me realize how much families mean.  How merciful and perfect God's plan is for us, and how you all are honestly the most precious thing to me on this earth.  Thank you for being strong, keeping the faith, and loving me as you have been ;)

What a great week full of lessons and great growth!!! I have truly learned to be grateful.  First, I'll talk about Benilda.  This is a woman about 45 to 50 years old.  She wants to be baptized so badly.  Every time we go to visit her, she cries about how she can't be baptized.  She can't because she isn't married to her esposo, because he is married to another woman, so he has to divorce, then they need to marry.  She asks, ¨Why can't I be baptized? When can I be baptized?¨ in full tears.  My heart aches for her; how some who are able to be baptized won't, but someone who is so willing to follow God can't.  She is going to be blessed beyond belief.

So I have given 4 priesthood blessings this week in Spanish........ Those were different and great experiences.  Let's just say that my comp had to help me.  I did 2 annointings, and the other 2 were the actual blessing.  It is so hard to remember how to do it, let alone remember their names! But my first was to Benilda. Then I annointed 2 others later in the week, and yesterday I gave my 4th blessing.  It went a lot better.  The language is coming...

The language is a miracle.  I am beginning to understand what people mean and what they say and I am able to talk, sometimes without even thinking!  The gift of tongues truly is real and it is a tender mercy from God.  Even though every time I start a conversation, I say that I don't know Spanish and that I can't speak or understand a lot, every time the people say how good I speak.  They say that I speak Spanish so well, pronouncing every syllable and not slurring words.  It's truly amazing.  I don't talk fast either.  I think that our language and the way we speak gives us power.  So why rush it? God has helped me to see that you can be profound and be able to show the people that this is important to you if you say every word with conviction.  I can teach principles in Spanish, I can talk a little in conversation and it is amazing.  My goal of the first change, with prayer to God to help me, was to be able to speak and get my point across, and teach, and be able to understand the jist of what people say, and understand the idea they are trying to get to me by recognizing key words and what they say.  Let's just say that I have been blessed immensely.  It is not by my strength at all.  You all know me, haha I am Bruce, the not-so-smart guy.  But with God, my weakness has and is being made into a strength.  I still have so so so much to learn, but God is showing His power through little me.

Cars are crazy here. For black Friday the traffic was insane.  And even before black Friday, the streets aren't that wide, and there is no side walk or speed limit anyway.  It's kinda just like a freeway in residential areas.  The only safety features are speed bumps and pot holes here and there.  I think that cars pass me while I am walking within about 2 inches going about 40 in residential areas.  Let's just say if I took one step, my leg and everything is history.  I am glad that God is protecting me though.
  
I am starting to connect with the members because I can talk and joke around with them.  I don't want you guys to think that I can speak and am fluent, because I am not even close to that.  I can just understand and communicate.  I am working really hard on my grammar with my comp.  I will just say random sentences to him and ask him if it's correct.  Most of the time it is.  It's fantastic!

Thanks for the pass-along cards, Mom.  People think that the Salt Lake Temple is so beautiful.  Every time I give one to someone, their breath is literally taken from their lungs, haha I love it!!

Some children in our area, about 3 or 4, every time we pass, yell to us, ¨Una cancion!!!¨ 5 or 6 times.  So we go and sing a hymn to them.  Their parents are all Evangelicals (people whose worship reminds me of the people of the Zoramites at Rameumptom) but the children are so sweet and recognize there is something different about us.  The church is true.

I have a question for Mom and Dad.... When you are fasting, do you not take oils? Just a question...

If it would be possible in the next package, which shouldn't be for what, another year because you guys have already sent 2 and I haven't received them yet. (I should get them at Cambios Changes, which is next Wednesday, so I will let you know in 2 weeks if I get them!)  But anyway, I was thinking of a couple of pens and an English small hymn book.  That would be a blessing :)

Satan has a strong hold upon these people.  They have such potential, but they have big problems with the law of chastity and many other things such as other religions.  It is sad.  But we are here to gather all those who are willing to accept the gospel and the willing in heart, so it's okay:)

We are so blessed in our family and in the U.S. and in UTAH. Zion.  What a wonderful place that I miss so much.  But be grateful.  I know you all are, but how blessed we are to have Dad's job to provide for us to be able to serve our God; for our house, our yard, cars, and especially our family.  We have so much to be grateful for.  I am grateful for all of you and love you with all of my heart and soul :) May God be with you always.  Be safe everyone please.  I can't wait to read all of your emails :) Love you and thank you for all!

Love, 

Elder Bitter

No comments: