Querido familia,
He estado pensando en que quisiera escribirles en el español, pero después me puse pensar en que no van a entender nada. Entonces no voy a escribirles en el español sino en el inglés.
We will see if you can translate that right :) How is everything at home in Utah? Any more snow? Did it only snow once this year? That's sad. I am glad I missed out on the not snowy year. Is it cold there still? Here it's Panamá, so it is still oven hot. I heard about gas prices, they sound like they are a little lighter on the wallet. Hope they stay that way for a couple of years. Has anything changed recently? I have looked out here on Family Search and I found that only 4 generations ago, the Bitter side, Great Great Great Grandpa was in Germany. I also found that four generations back on Grandma Townley's side, we were in China. How is it that people from clear across the world ended up today to be a big Bitter Family in Syracuse, Utah. Isn't it marvelous? :) I am so grateful to them.
Anyway, this week was a good week! We have been working a ton! We have 4 progressing investigators that are really positive. Ender and Vincent are some of the most prepared people to receive the gospel that I think I have ever met. They are already ready to get baptized and we met them on Sunday. Juan we met a couple of weeks ago and he is also so ready. Eluterio is another that is ready. It is amazing the blessings that the Lord showers upon us and the people of Panamá.
I have to say, I love working and helping, but what really fills my heart is teaching. There is nothing like finding a person on the street, beginning to talk to them, and asking them questions that come to your mind and heart from the Spirit, then seeing their countenance change as you speak with them. One time a while ago, we were in a taxi, Elder Jensen and I. We started talking to the driver and the music was really loud. About half-way while we were talking to him and started to ask him questions and incorporate the gospel, he turned the volume down. By the time we were teaching him he turned it off and was conversing with us. I literally saw the Spirit and the words of the gospel change him. It is something that I won't ever forget.
We had another experience yesterday while working in an area called Viejo Veranillo, and we were passing by to go to a young man's house. I saw a lady and we started to talk to her. Turns out she is a less-active named Paola, and lives with her husband Rafael and her son Juan, and they are all members. We found a family! We will start working with them. She was so nice and sincere. We then passed and went to the young man named Fernando's house. Afterward, we passed by where we were talking to Paola again and she was talking with her cousin next door to where she lives. Her name is Pura. We started talking to her and asking her questions. She said that she had gone to the church for a year a couple of years ago but that she didn't get baptized because she doesn't like being pressured or obligated to do something. We were able to have a wonderful talk with her and the Spirit touched her heart. We asked her questions that made her search her soul, and after a couple of those she just looked at us and just couldn't answer and would just smile and just not know what to say; or rather, she would know the answer, yet didn't want to say it.
It is amazing to see people change just from the words that we say. In the scriptures it refers to people changing just because of The Word. Words can be powerful. Scriptures are powerful. The Spirit testifies of those things. I love the scriptures and how we can find pure knowledge there. We can know that it is true with a certainty and not have to rely upon a man's words, but rather in God's revelations to us. What a marvelous and glorious pattern that the Lord has.
I have been reading Preach My Gospel like crazy to be able to know it like the back of my hand for the rest of my mission. I sure wish I would have studied it every day in my preparation before the mission. Elder Duncan arrives tomorrow. I can't wait to speak with him. What a wonderful opportunity.
I was able to go to the temple a couple of days ago, and it is amazing the Spirit that dwells there. If you pay attention, you will be able to receive so much more light and knowledge than you ever have. I was able to receive so much personal revelation, and revelation and instruction for other things as well. After leaving, I had to hurry and find a place to write all of it down so that I could keep it in a safe place. How loving and merciful is our God. He truly wants to show us and to help us through this life. All that is required of us is to follow His Son, and obey.
I love you all so much. I want you to know that I know that this is true; with all of my heart I do :) I have come to know these things for myself. The gospel, the scriptures, and Jesus Christ truly take away the thirst that I have had. I have come to know that the invitation that the Lord makes to all in Matthew is true:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
I know that these things are true. Even though we might already be members of The Church, it doesn't mean we stop coming to Christ. On the contrary. Keep on. Keep the faith. Keep coming unto Christ. Love you all.
Elder Bitter
No comments:
Post a Comment