Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Bruce's email 9-17-13


Hey you guys!

These Spanish keyboards are really throwing me off.... hahaha but I made it to the MTC!

The plane ride was alright.  The first plane ride I was sitting and thinking about many things.  I don't remember all of the things that came to my mind, they were just marvelous.  I don't know how to type smiley faces on this keyboard either haha.  But on the first flight it was really nice, I was with 4 other Elders that are called to Honduras, or however you spell that word. I was kind of disappointed on the first flight because while we were flying, there was a complimentary movie playing and they watched the whole thing.  It was so hard not to focus on the movie, so I slept for an hour or two. After we arrived in Georgia, we met with Elders from everywhere.  There are a lot of us from Utah, but there are one or two or three from Washington, Indiana, the only sister was from Virginia, California, Oregon, and many other places. It was so amazing to see all of them come from everywhere! In the Salt Lake airport, there were so many sisters and Elders from the MTC in Provo, you could not count them all.  Some flew down with us because they were called to Florida.

On the second flight I had a great experience.  I talked to a wonderful woman, she lives in Mexico City, and an Elder and I got to talk to her.  We found out that she believes in Buddhism, and she just was returning from a seminar or somthing like that.  I also found out that she was raised as a Catholic, and still believes in Jesus Christ and the Bible.  Weird huh. I dont know how to do question marks either on this keyboard haha.  But she had such different beliefs.  I felt as if we should keep talking to her so we did, and I found out so much about her.  She was a wonderful person, believing in helping others, and living your religion.  I was able to, at the end of our flight, give her a Book of Mormon, with my testimony written inside it.  She said it was mine and that she didn't want to take it from me because she thought that it was my nice copy that I write and mark in, but I showed her that I wrote my testimony inside it for her.  I showed her Moroni's promise, and showed her certain scriptures I had marked, and a temple pass-along card.  She was so nice and graciously accepted the gift.  I gave a Joseph Smith pamphlet to the other Elder while she was sleeping so that he could help me talk to her.  He gave it to her before I gave her the Book of Mormon.  He is from Oregon.  He's kinda... one of those go on a mission cause it's cool guys.  But he did watch T.V. all the way to our destination.  So did some of the other Elders.  I was really disappointed in them.  This is not just a position we hold.  It's a way of life.  We do what Jesus would do.  If he wouldn't do it or say it, then don't.  But it just surprised me a lot.  Some of the things the Elders talk about surprise me too.  It was hard to concentrate on keeping the Spirit.  But I know that in time, they will come to.  There is hope for them in the future. God made me into what I am, he can make anybody into what he needs them to be.

We arrived at the MTC after a very long bus ride.  Man, that bus driver almost killed all of us at least 3 times, and almost killed 7 other pedestrians.  But props to him for driving us in Mexico City right!  It's even more chaotic than New York.  A lot of stuff here reminds me of Guatemala, especially the smell.  It is so awesome.  My companion is Elder Kinghorn.  He's so cool. The other Panamanian Elder is Elder Sumpter.  Sister Coleman told me about him.  

I love you all, and I just want to say that I made it, and I am ready to be a missionary and be exactly obedient to even the smallest rule.  I want to see miracles, and be an instrument in the hands of the Lord.  So I must prepare myself for it.  I ate 6 peices of pizza when we arrived. Man, I was crazy hungry.  They were some big pieces.  Anyway, I will write you soon and tell you how things are going.  I cannot wait to work my hardest to learn the language, and if I do, then the Lord will meet me half way.

God be with you till I write again.

Elder Bitter

P.S. My comp is so cool. You guys can forward this to anyone you would like to.

No comments: