Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Bruce's email May 4, 2015

Dear Family,

This week was pretty insane.  It was changes.  Got a lot less sleep.  With about 20 or more missionaries in our house, sometimes it gets pretty crazy, but luckily we have a separate room and everyone kind of went to bed at reasonable hours.  On Tuesday all of the new missionaries came - the Hispanics in the morning and the Gringos in the evening.  We are receiving some great missionaries here in Panama.  We then were able to take the old missionaries to the airport on Thursday morning.  It was crazy to see those elders go home.  Elder Weston went home, the elder that was with me in Acalde Diaz for 6 months.  It is interesting to see it happen.  Now that Elder Jensen will leave in 5 weeks, I will soon be, and already am, one of the oldest missionaries in the mission.

About Skype on Sunday, we will come to the office to Skype with you at about 6:30 our time so about 5:30 your time.  Love you guys! :):)

After all of the craziness was over, we were able to get some time in our area.  I was able to have some amazing experiences this past week.  It is amazing to see the Lord work miracles.  I can honestly say that my testimony has grown and deepened much these past couple of days.  On Sunday, so many of my prayers were answered.  I know that through faith and prayer, miracles can occur.  I know that that applies both personally and if others are also exercising their faith and praying.  I know that all of you are, and trust me, it is seen and felt.  Many investigators came to church and are wanting to progress toward baptism.  We have found many families and investigators very interested in knowing more about the church and everything is going so well.  I know that if we put our mind to it with diligence, the Lord provides.  Thank you for your prayers.  I truly know that this is the Lord's work.

I had a sweet experience in my personal study this morning.  I read a talk given by Elder Neal L. Anderson last October entitled Joseph Smith.  I invite each of you to read and study it.  I will just point out one thing that I noticed and that was impressed upon me.  I noticed that he says, twice, spiritual questions deserve spiritual answers from God.  I have thought much about this and in my study about how the marvelous works and the blessings that we have in these days started with simple acts of faith such as belief and prayer with real intent.  Joseph prayed and had the first vision.  Also when he was praying, the angel Moroni appeared to him to commence the great work of the translation of the Book of Mormon.  I have often thought about how prophets have great things happen such as seeing visions and preforming miracles; yet we see that they are the ones who are doing the simple acts of faith.  Nephi went to the mount often and the Lord showed unto him great things.  Joseph Smith made prayer not a rare occurrence.  Moses went to the mountain and prayed.  Jesus went off and prayed as well.  No man can know of spiritual truths without prayer.  I know that in order to gain a testimony of this great work and of the prophet Joseph Smith, prayer is essential.  If we do not pray to God for answers, we can never know of the truth.  I know that our Heavenly Father answers prayers, for I have seen it time and time again, both here on the mission, and before. Sometimes I fail, but I am so grateful for repentance and that the Lord's arms are always open to receive us.  If we want to know with more a surety the truth of what we believe, the prayer of faith is required.  I testify of this, and that anyone can know of the truth for themselves.  I challenge each of you to deepen your conversions and testimonies about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon.  I promise that as you do, your conviction to follow our Savior Jesus Christ will become stronger, and your desire to know more and to do the will of our Father will cease to become a bother and become our quest.

I love you all and desire the best for you. I can't wait to see you this Sunday :) Take care this week.

Love, Elder Bitter

No comments: